Thursday, May 14, 2009

Get in and get out

I think I might have mentioned in passing before that I hate my car. I currently rock it in a minivan, but it has so many problems that my husband and I aren't particularly a fan of the ride.

One of the problems it has is the driver's side window does not go down. Its a power window, and the motor is broken, so its been up for about 6 months now. This is where it gets good.

I was a Sociology major in college, and I can't help but love these little social experiments. Since the window is broken, if I ever want to make use of the drive through option at a fast food place or ATM machine, I have to get out of the car and order.

Why would I do that when my window is broken and look silly you ask? Well, when you have two kids in the car, at some point, almost always, one of them falls asleep. The last thing I want to do is wake her up. Why would I ever do that? The draw to look foolish and get out of the car is still more convenient than hauling the kids out for a grand total of 5 minutes.

I've been doing this for months now, so I find it not-so-weird that I get out of the car at these places. I became used to the weird looks from the people behind me and the person at the window, until I explained to them why I was getting out of the car. However, I had a good one the other day...

I went to a drive through at a fast food place, and I ordered, then when I pulled up to the window to get my food, I got out of the car and the guy at window freaked on me. He thought I was going to rob him!

He said, "Whoa lady! What are you doing?" I explained to him that my window was broken, and I needed to open the door to get my food. He told me he thought I was going to rob him!!!

Me, little ol' me? I didn't realize that I looked like a shady character in my super cool minivan that screams total mom ride, minus the "baby on board" sticker....which by the way, I HATE...but that's for another time...

After months of amusement at seeing the look on people's faces, I am sad to report that my fun has come to an end. My husband informed me that he found an affordable motor to replace our window with, and that it will be fixed this week. It was fun while it lasted...


2 comments:

VERONICA said...

Whatever, you're totally shady :o)

Anonymous said...

LOL! Dude that's hysterical. "Whoa lady!" Ah ha ha!

~J9 ;)